Wednesday, August 26, 2009

I am Kenya

I am Kenya

A nation of tribes and colours
A mixture of culture and people

I’m not just Kikuyu, Luo, Kamba, Masai, Luyha, Meru
to name but a few
I’m all of these, these are all of me
Sons and daughters of this nation- I Be

I am Kenya

Whence came from the separation?
Who said one tribe one nation?

I’m all; I encompass all these differences for they are part of me
This ground, these borders they speak of me

Kenya

The mounts, the hills, the streams, the seas
The plains, the farms, the beasts, the trees
The song, the dance, the people, their bearing, their stance

All Kenya
Different, yet singularly me

Yet some try to divide me, how can this be?
For all these variations speak of me, are part of me, are all of me

Why does brother rise against brother, sister against sister?
Are not these but Kenyan Fathers and Mothers
Protectors and Nurturers?

Who set neighbour against neighbour?
On this hallow ground once stood shoulder to shoulder
And now my legacy threatens to smolder

The fabric of the Kenyan flag is tearing, across the nation the ground is wailing
Its people are riling and quailing
Our land - blood like rivers prevailing

Can Kenyans rise above this plight?
Gather under the Kenyan flag and anthem sing bright
To redeem the truth of what is good and right
Stand together with liberty and our differences unite
And be One People One Nation!

Kenya!!
(Inspired from a theme if Kenya’s spirit could speak)

No comments: